Thing A Month - February - Magic Loop Socks, Phase One

Dear Neuro,

I had a great time learning the Magic Loop technique this month! Thanks to your terrific head start and encouragement, I made it through my first pair!

I wanted to start out with a very simple sock pattern, and let the yarn do all the work whilst I was fussing with the needles and cord.  Here are the completed socks from those efforts:



Who thinks of these things??  I thought it was a very original technique, and if you don't like working with DPNs it is a great way to still be able to make socks.  I happen to like DPNs very much, but that's how I learned.  All other things being equal, I still prefer DPNs, at least for this straightforward, cuff-down pattern.

One advantage of Magic Loop is that, when all your DPNs are presently in use on other projects, you can always start one more pair of socks with the circular needle!!!  (You can see how this is going to get me into UFO trouble already!)

However, I am presently looking for a pattern/yarn combination so that I can experiment with colorwork and this technique, to see if it is any less fiddly than with DPNs.  My null hypothesis is that both techniques are equally fiddly.  This will be Magic Loop, Phase Three - more to come soon!

In the meantime, I thought I might start preparing myself for our March Thing A Month theme, 2 socks on 2 circular needles.  For Magic Loop, Phase Two, I will be attempting 2 socks on 1 circular needle:



(I was going to make these socks at some point anyway, so have just moved them up in the queue, somewhat.)

I can't wait to see how your toe-ups turn out!

Love,
Oogy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Pillows

Poisons