Bad Tension

Hello on this sunny Sunday!  I hope you're safe and well; we're good here.

We had a bunch of lake effect snow yesterday - really the biggest snowfall we've so far this season!  And the wind!  Today it's still cold but it's very clear and quiet.  And there are deer tracks everywhere. 

I attempted another tube on the sock machine today but ran into another issue - tension!!


What you see here is the reverse side of the work, and if you look closely you'll see what appear to be slipped stitches.  Well, they're slipped all right, but that wasn't the intent!!

I dug this yarn out of the bottom of a bag of oddballs and thought it would make a couple of short socks, always good practice.  Was I ever right about that!  This yarn is slightly larger, stickier, and more highly twisted than the others I've been using.  What this means is that I needed to do a couple of things differently.  Both of which I did, but obviously not enough or well.

Firstly, the tension.  I had a feeling I would need less tension for this yarn, and the machine does have an adjusting knob for that.  I probably didn't do it enough.  The other thing was that these needed a lot more weight on them earlier in the process.  The combined result was several instances of slipped stitches.  Enough for me to bail and want to start over.  Which I will.

The other thing I wanted to share is that the KamaKama yarns will now become - wait for it -

Preemie mitts!!!!!

I took an extended break from making these and have been feeling guilty about it.  I always enjoyed thinking about how these little mitts would be colorful little flags they could wave around, and also help with the unintentional extubation thing.  I have a small pile from before, and will be adding these brightly-colored new ones with the cheerful Kamela Harris themed yarn, courtesy of Neuro!  There are oranges and reds in addition to the yellows, so lots of fun yet to come!

Looking ahead to this week - I really need to spend more time on Project Goldilocks as well as Oogyhubby's fuzzy hat - which is a lovely shade of grayish purple now!  More to come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows