Startitis

Hello on this blustery and pork sliders Sunday!!

Neuro and I are having a great time working on several projects in parallel!  I think we have a version of spring fever that has manifested as startitis - casting on a bunch of new projects and then flitting from one to the other.

The latest is the Joie Mittens from Brandi Cheyenne Harper's new book, Knitting for Radical Self-Care.  I haven't cast them on yet, but might have a yarn candidate:


This is a big ball of Margaana, a wool/silk blend dyed by Schaefer Yarns, probably one of the first indie dyers ever and I actually bought it at her studio probably 20-25 years ago.  This is a beautiful yarn but it never wants to be anything.  I'm hoping it will like being these mittens because there's enough for two pair! 

All the other projects are still in the works - nothing very exciting or finished just yet though.

I spent most of yesterday wrangling with Rogue Pinion (as if my failure to swatch and count wasn't enough - I screwed up the easy lace and had to fix a couple of sections a few rows down) while baking.  The first project was a batch of liver treats for Daisy, which is always a disgusting and messy project but so worth it for the outcome.  I put them all in the freezer and then thaw them small numbers.  She's still on a weight reduction program so at most she'll get two of these in a day (usually if something terrible is happening to her, such as toenail clipping or ear cleaning).  So at least it will last forever!

Then I made the Pineapple Sour Cream Crumb Cake recipe that was recently featured in the NYT.  It was a lot of work!  After hacking the pineapple apart I had to caramelize the pineapple, make the crumb topping, and then make the cake part.  The batter was super stiff and sticky, but I think that's because the layer of pineapple on top permeates moisture down into the cake (and out of the bottom of the springform pan - the oven is in a sad state today and is in need of caustic chemicals).  

I think it turned out fine but it didn't give me the "wow!" experience that I had hoped for after all that work.  But it does give me more confidence to try other new things!  Maybe next week....

Stay safe, warm, and healthy!

Comments

neuroknitter said…
I have so many of those gorgeous skeins that are reluctant to knit up and stay gorgeous. I can't wait to see how that yarn works out!

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Pillows

Poisons