November Takes Over!

I was only going to cast this on yesterday to take a break from two-color knitting, but of course I was lured by the ever-changing pattern and 2-stitch cables that don't need a cable needle:


This is November Hat, with a lone skein of Patons Decor that leaped out at me when I was last digging around in the deep stash.  I'm probably about halfway through the main section of the hat (prior to the decrease section for the top).  It's decidedly female-leaning, and will want to have a modest self-pom when completed.

In the meantime, I've continued working on the Cold As mitts:


I had a minor panic when, after taking this pic, I noticed for the first time that the pattern is different for each mitt.  I hadn't realized that was by design - I'd been following the charts diligently, but the charts are indeed different for each.  The only modifications I made were to use smaller needles (for a tighter gauge and warmer mitts), a longer and one-color cuff (to provide coverage and extra warmth), and I'm going to graft the remaining stitches at the top rather than pull through the loops.  These still need thumbs and finishing; since I expect they'll look even nicer after blocking, I'll post another pic once they're completely finished.

I don't have a human model to show you the completed (and modified) Audrey Hepburn, but Third Quarter Bonus Dog did a fine job standing in:


There are still two full skeins of this Kidsilk Haze remaining.  They'll marinate in the stash for a while, but when they re-emerge I expect they'll go in search of more beads since they look so fabulous together.

Speaking of the stash - I seem to have had a fixation for mitered squares some time ago.  The Nephew Wedding Afghan was a modification of a log cabin type pattern that had mitered squares for each of the color blocks (in four different colors - I'd changed it so there was only one color per block); the Cousin Wedding Afghan (aka Hue Shift) is comprised of mitered squares, and this, lurking in the stash:
I'm not sure what I was thinking when I bought the kit, but it must have been on super sale!!  There are 206 squares, and the pattern has you making all of them and then SEWING them together - ugh.  I'll take a closer look and see if there's any way I can connect them as I go; not all are mitered.  I'm going to make Girasole first (and after the Cousin Wedding Afghan), but this one will definitely follow!

Lastly - we have at least four cats patrolling the grounds for us.  They seem to keep the varmints away from the house, so it seems like a fair trade-off.  Orange Cat is the one who is in love with the fox and follows the fox around; Penguin is the black-and-white one I thought was a penguin at first glance (LOL - what else would explain a black and white object in the middle of the field?); Black Cat first made their appearance on Halloween; and yesterday a gray and white striped cat with gold eyes sauntered across the patio under the window.  They all seem to be well-fed and a couple of them have collars, so I assume they've wandered over from the developments on the other side of the tree line.

Comments

neuroknitter said…
That newly-found kit looks like a big challenge. I hope the "build-on" strategy works, or that December Hat requires the same yarn.

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows