Don't Laugh, But...

A few years ago, I got one of those presents (probably from my mom) that I opened and thought - huh?  Then I thought - well, I'll bring it to the cottage by the Big Lake, where it gets cold at the beginning and end of the season, and where the heat didn't reach the master bedroom.  And there it sat - not because it wasn't cold, but because there are always blankets, tea, and whiskey, and I probably forgot about it most times anyway.

When we sold the cottage, I brought this thing back home and put it with the other cottage items we wanted to keep - mostly a few craft pieces and other memorabilia.  This is probably how it survived the massive purge we did when we moved - you know, the one where you decide if you keep/pack/move it, or you get rid of it (donate or garbage).  So it got moved.  When I unpacked it, I put it in a closet downstairs along with some towels and sheets.

Back in the present time - we haven't been able to get the heat working in our bedroom this season (probably a mechanical thing), so while we've been awaiting our talented but extremely busy HVAC guy, it's been pretty cold in there most nights and on cloudy days.  It's not too bad once we're tucked away in bed, but I really wanted to do some knitting in that chair by that lamp.  And then I remembered that I had this thing:


This, by the way, is not me - it's the pic from the ad on both Amazon and Walmart.)

It's called a Cuddlee.  It's basically a blanket with arms, so it doesn't go all the way around the back like a sleeping bag.  But it's super warm, but lightweight.  AND - since there are arms, I can knit!!!  (And read.  And operate a smartphone.  Etc.)  It's a nice color blue as well, and being synthetic will probably wear like iron.

I'm going to leave it draped over the back of the chair, because it can get a little cool in there in the winter as well, even when the heat is working.

So - this is literally the last thing I would have thought I needed, even if I knew it existed.  Even when I knew it existed and I had one, I didn't use it for a long time!  And, by this time, my mom has likely forgotten all about getting it for me.  But - now I love it.  Go figure.

No new knitting news, but I have an idea for some of the unspun Icelandic that has been mocking me.  I made Girasole back in 2011 using a bulky alpaca yarn and huge needles - intentionally making this shawl pattern a blanket.  It turned out awesome, and it's super warm (coincidentally, I've been using it to keep warm at night while we wait for our heat).  I'm thinking that the unspun Icelandic might like this pattern as well, and then can become an afghan in reserve.  I'll do some more thinking and maybe even get it started just to see how it works out, but I won't have much knitting time until I get through the holiday knitting!

Comments

neuroknitter said…
I have a bright red version of your Cuddlee, except mine is called a Comfy and it has a hood. I wear it when I get cold, but after about 3 minutes I'm roasting and have to struggle my way out of it. A very nice 3 minutes, though!!
Oogyknitter said…
Now that is funny!!! I wonder how many more stealth Cuddlee/Comfy users are out there?? It would be a riot to make one out of yarn using granny squares!!

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows