Missing October Already!

I know that March is usually the month that has the option of doing this, but November sure came in like a lion this year!  We had big rain yesterday, followed by big wind all night (which made a lot of noise and kept waking me up).  So far we don't seem any worse for the wear here otherwise, but there are others in the area without power, and the Big Lake is all worked up.  I had also read that Lake Erie was expected to experience a seiche during all of this - that's when it sloshes around like coffee in a mug, from side to side; which is cool, except for the flooding and other possible damage that can result!

I'm in the home stretches of October Hat and thought I'd show you a partial pic prior to finishing, blocking, and pomming:


I like how it turned out.  I made a couple of changes from the pattern as written (in addition to using DK yarn and a different needle size!).  As I'd mentioned before, I really hated the brim (so did many others who've also made it and posted their thoughts on Ravelry).  The one I chose, borrowed from May Hat, came out plushy and lovely.  I also skipped the last pattern repeat (as did many others as well!).  I don't know why some hats are designed to be so tall; I like more of a beanie than some big long thing that sags at the top!  I also changed some decreases in the crown from SSK to K2TOG; either the pattern was wrong, or my SSKs were wrong, because they turned out all wonky.  I ended up ripping back and starting the decreases over.  It definitely needs a pompom, but likely a modest one in the same yarn.

The Nephew Afghan is awaiting wrapping and boxing, in preparation for its trip to the post office on Sunday!

I've also decided to try making the Audrey Hepburn with the Kidsilk Haze, although probably not as long as the original pattern calls for; my mom is on the shorter side so something super long would be just ridiculous.  I actually ordered the beads and they should be here on Monday, which gives me plenty of time to figure out what kind of cast-on I want to use as well as how long I should make it.

I don't have any wildlife sightings to report, but Oogyhubby told me that the other morning, as he was leaving for work, there was a group of deer headed right for him!  He was in his car on the driveway, and they were running across the field headed for his vehicle.  He noticed that one of them had a small rack of antlers - it is mating season, after all!  I haven't yet seen any males, so I thought that was cool.  He said he honked at them and then they all ran off.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows