Winding Yarn

Hello on a sunny-quickly-turning-cloudy Saturday!  I hope this finds you safe and well; we're good here.

Realizing I needed to get a couple of steps ahead on my sock machine projects, I readied some yarn for dyeing:


 Yeah, so a couple of things.

The cone on the floor is a shit-ton of Wool2Dye4's Platinum Sock base - 75% SW merino, 25% nylon.  I got it and a bunch of BFL hanks at the same time I purchased the sock machine.  They have a lot of lovely yarns and I believe mostly cater to indie dyers and amateurs like me :)

But I only needed enough for heels and toes for two pairs of socks - so, 20g each, or about 80 yards.  One will be dyed pink, the other purple.

That little white gadget you see is a yarn measure.  You put the yarn in the slot, pull the lever that holds it in, and wind it up!  I was winding on to my niddy-noddy because I wanted hanks for dyeing, and I wasn't quite sure how to crank the Umbrella Swift to accomplish the same thing.  Needless to say, I've had this little gadget for years, and this is the first time I've used it.  It certainly won't be the last - it was super fun and Zombie Apocalypse Compliant!!  (Yes, so when we're all in danger of being eaten by zombies, I can measure your yarn for you!!!!)

My next step is to dye the yarn, then I can put the heels and toes on.  Stay tuned for more on that!

I'm also nearing the end of the NNWA, and hope to have some pics to show you soon!

In wildlife news - yesterday afternoon I happened to look out the window and saw a whole bunch of deer pouring out of the woods and into the field!  Many of them then continued on down the hill from there, but at one point there must have been about 20 of them!  Not sure if they were all out on a road trip together, got flushed out by something, or just happened to meet up for no reason whatsoever!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows