Peaceful Pileated

Today's wildlife sighting was going to start with our pileated woodpecker jumping all through the woods this morning, pecking away, when this happened:

It's a terrible picture, but if you look roughly just left and slightly above the center, you might see a blob on that tree.  That's our pileated woodpecker, and she appears to be taking a nap.  She hung out there for at least half an hour, not pecking; then she pecked her way to the top of that tree, flew and called her way to the top of a nearby tree, and has been vigorously pecking at that one for the past few minutes (I think I even see a wood chip go flying every once in a while!).  I'm guessing she's a she because I don't see any red stripe on her face.  I think I would have been very surprised to look out the window and see her bright red head sitting there, had I not seen her alight upon that tree in the first place.  Very exciting!

On the knitting front, I've completed another pair of baby mitts:


I've also started a couple of smaller projects.  The provisional cast-on for the brim of February Hat:


And a Hoover Blanket, because this yarn was driving me crazy just sitting there:

I'm not sure where the yarn came from, or even why I have it, but it's green and acrylic - perfect for the puppy/kitty blankie this will become.

As always, millions of other things are in the works.  Who knows which one will make it to the finishing line next!

Comments

neuroknitter said…
Just think how many birds will be around when the weather gets nice!
February hat looks awesome. Will you add a pom-pom to it?

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows