Decisions, Decisions

In studying the instructions for Frozen Margarita socks - 18 pages worth! - I saw that I needed to make some decisions (in addition to the usual needle size, how long the foot and leg will be, etc.); specifically:

- Where to place the additional "lime slice" motifs
- Whether or not to add the "mezcal worm" motif just above the ankle
- How to construct the "saguaro cactus" motifs

After much contemplation, I've decided the following:

- No additional lime slice motifs on the sock foot.  Some people don't like lumpy socks, especially when worn with shoes.  Since these will be a gift, I don't want to assume.

- A couple of lime slices on the sock leg; right now I'm thinking two in front, offset from each other, and possibly one centered on the back as well.

- No mezcal worm.  Its location at the back of the heel is one of the first places my own socks start to show wear - I didn't want to tempt that weak spot any further.  Besides, it's just a couple of lines of yarnovers - hardly worm-like in the long run, really.

- No cacti, due to the lumpy thing.  Since the heel construction in the pattern relies on some stitches coming from the cactus, I may need to select a different heel pattern.  Fortunately, there are 64 stitches, a fairly common number for socks, so I should be able to find something I like and that will work.

It seems like I've bailed on a lot of this pattern, but I did want to err on the side of practicality, while also preserving those elements that make it fun and unique.  I'm definitely keeping the salty rim part up at the cuff!

What I don't yet know is whether or not I can pull off sock chirality with regard to the lime slice placement - that is, will I end up with two identical socks, or mirror image socks?  I should have a better idea of how this might work once I'm through the first sock.  I've got a while yet - I'm still only 10 rows beyond the toe lime wedge that I showed you yesterday.  I'm also sticking with magic loop for now, as much as the Karbons are hollering to join in all the fun.

In other news - a lone deer ventured briefly onto the lawn to graze, then strolled away.  There was pileated pecking this morning as well, and the goaties are in their back pasture enjoying the sunshine!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows