The Prepared Mind

Dans les champs de l'observation le hasard ne favorise que les esprits préparés. (Louis Pasteur)

Although it is usually translated as something like "chance favors the prepared mind", I like to incorporate the use of the word "serendipity" into this quote.  It sounds way more whimsical, like it should be.  Discovery should be something more than a coincidence - it should incorporate an element of wonder as well.  

(Another one of my favorite quotes: The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" (I found it!) but "That's funny..".  (Isaac Asimov))

During my early morning internet wanderings, from everything to email to job postings to current events, I happened upon the latest season of patterns posted on knitty.com.  Knitty was an early leader in providing on-line, free, and frankly artistic knitting patterns, and I was a really big fan.  Who among us hasn't made a Clapotis, or a pair of Monkey Socks (ok, or more than one pair)?  But, in recent years, as the site continues to evolve, it has been moving away from my own personal aesthetic.  I visit the site once in a while to check in on their latest patterns (they still update quarterly), often prompted by Ravelry's "Hot Right Now" feature, which shows the patterns with the most views in the past 24 hours.

Today I visited Knitty and this sock pattern called to me:

beauty shot

Pay no attention to the finicky features such as intensely charted lace, wrapped stitches, and toe-up-ness, and check out the design feature - the heel gusset actually resides within the lace insert at the TOP of the foot!!!  Amazing!  When I'm ready for some intense chart knitting and the fiddley cast-on, I will be all over these.  Time to find some yarn that will be up to the challenge!

Speaking of yarn - one of the test knitters for this pattern is using yarn from a company called A Whimsical Wood Yarn Co., whose motto is, "Because life's too short to buy shitty yarn".  What a cacophony of colors!  Just their names make me want to buy them: Bitch Ass, Dopamine, and Snake Venom, to name a few.  Who can resist??  The base yarns are different across products and, since they're made to order, some even offer a selection of base yarn.  Fabulous!!

We had another Alaska sunrise this morning, and the deer are wandering around in the forest already.  Should be a good day for other sightings as well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows