October

Not sure why, but it didn't really seem like October to me until the leaves started raining down along with a cold wind and actual rain.  It made me think of this U2 song, which seems melancholy but also pretty.  I guess that's Autumn in a nutshell - full of changing light and delicious apples, but with Winter lurking just ahead. 

It's been a few days now so I thought an updated pic of Hue was due:


Today we're at 17% complete (not counting the border, seaming, and all those ridiculous ends).  I continue to enjoy the garter stitch, punctuated by changing colors and picking up stitches. 

Speaking of October - Hat was released yesterday, and it's all fat brim and cables!  (It's also #1 on the "Hot Right Now" list, so these must be catching on, especially as hat season is upon us)  The purple yarn is dying to be this pattern, but it's DK weight, and the pattern is written for worsted weight.  I may just go down a needle size and hope for the best - will let you know what happens!

In lieu of animal adventures, it seems like a good day for a book report; this one that you'll want to read on the couch when it's cold and rainy (or, if you're in temperate climes, on the beach).  Where the Crawdads Sing, by Delia Owens, was on the NYT best-seller fiction list for many weeks in a row earlier this year (beware of plot spoilers if you choose to follow the link).  My mom binge-read through it when she was here so that she could leave it for me, and then in turn I binge-read it.  To summarize: The author is a zoologist, and I really enjoyed her descriptions of the flora and fauna within the book.  The plot was fun but predictable.  But I had to suspend disbelief with regard to the characters - they reminded me of the ones in Clan of the Cave Bear, about which I was equally disappointed.

I liked going to bed with some fiction reading, so I've been reading e-copies of Sue Grafton's alphabet series (A is for Alibi, etc.).  There is also some disbelief suspension here, but at least that part is predictable.  Also good for couch or beach reading, if you're so inclined.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows