Shifting

Earlier this week, one of the Oogynephews announced that he is getting married, and very soon.  No shotgun is involved, from what I can tell, and hopefully all will end well rather than in a train wreck.  Although I likely won't have it done in time, I'm going to make this for them:


But not in those colors - the kit I have is the Decor colorway, which is has a lot of browns (and this green).

There are a lot of advantages to this approach, not the least of which is that I've had this kit in my stash for a verrrrry long time; I seem to recall that I got it on super-sale from Knit Picks.  A lot of folks on Ravelry have already made this pattern, so there are some great suggestions for casting on and picking up (and purling on occasion!).  Aside from one purl stitch every two rows, and a few slipped stitches, this is all garter stitch.  And, although I haven't used them in a long time, I am making use of my lovely bamboo straight needles; they are light as a feather and a joy to work with.

A few disadvantages remain, however.  As mentioned, I won't have this done in time, so I'll need to make sure I'm clear that it's in the works and will be on its way in the near future.  There are 100 squares; each square takes about an hour (I haven't timed myself yet, though!).  There is holiday knitting to consider as well.  And there will be bazillions of ends to work in.

So, just like this pattern is named Hue Shift, I'll need to do some queue shifting to work it all in.  Which is indeed a nice problem to have!

In other news - the fruit fly invasion seems to have reinvigorated with gusto.  I've created a new apple cider vinegar trap and have removed the compost from the house altogether.  There was also a houseplant that had some bugs on it, so that had to go as well.  Onward!

Comments

neuroknitter said…
That afghan is going to be beautiful. PLEASE tell me that you will be attending the wedding in Oogy Home State?!?! with a few hours to spare...

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows