Well Then

As I suspected, the deer have been holding out on us - there were a couple grazing out on the lawn early this morning (after a rather frosty start, from the looks of things), and one studying me carefully as I drove up the driveway after going grocery shopping.  As the greenery in the woods continues to thin out, it will become easier to see them wandering around back there - often not too far in.

I haven't knit on anything but the Hues since yesterday, and am well into the second column of the first large square - so maybe 8.5% complete, lol.  Rather than show you another boring pic, I thought I'd tell you a little about a couple of the podcasts that I like to listen to (usually while knitting!).

Back when podcasting was still new, I listened to a lot of science-related shows.  Most of them have wound down or lost my interest by now, but one I've listened to from nearly its very start is The Skeptics Guide to the Universe.  At its core are brothers - the ringleader and oldest, a neurologist; another, an amateur physicist; and the third a computer professional.  They're joined by their friend, an accountant, and they have also incorporated a millennial female as their 5th member.  Their format has become fairly standard - including segments about telling truth from fiction, guessing a mystery noise, and deep dives into various topics of interest.  Their content incorporates current science news events, some debunking, education about logical fallacies, and an awful lot of terrific banter.  They upload a new episode each week, and I find it a great way to get updates as well as learn a few new things.  I've listened to these guys for so long that I would know their voices anywhere, and I feel like they are friends that I can get my geek on with.  If this is your thing, I highly recommend a listen.

Another podcast that I found recently, and can't stop telling people about, is Ponzi Supernova.  I think I heard about it from another podcast, but it really blew my mind.  Journalist Steve Fishman managed to record a series of phone conversations with Bernie Madoff, as well as tell the in-depth story of the scandal that rocked the financial world back in the late 2000s.  There were a lot of details that I hadn't known about, and some interesting perspectives that hadn't occurred to me.  It's not a super long series, so you won't lose an entire weekend if you binge-listen to it.

One last one for today - also relatively new to me is Reveal, created by The Center for Investigative Reporting.  It covers a wide range of topics, one per week, and provides a deep dive into each topic that I often find educational and insightful.  It also gives me hope in this era of otherwise mysterious "news".

Would you believe that I still listen to these on an iPod?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows