Pretty Thing

It's Huuuummmmmppp Daaayyyy again!  I hope you're safe and well; we're good here.

I thought I'd have one more project to show you from Dyeing Weekend, but it turns out that it didn't work out.  I had this small bit of laceweight merino and thought - wouldn't this be perfect with my current obsession with doubling the laceweight, I can make something pretty with this.  I sprinkled on some light purple, a bit of black, and some yellow - iris-like, if you will.

There was a lot going on that afternoon: day drinking (what else do you put in your adult sippy cup?), good friends visiting virtually, stuff boiling, gloves and masks, etc.  I popped the small bundle into the microwave to set the dye, and didn't even think about not setting it to the same time as all the other (um, larger) bundles - 5 minutes to start, followed by another 5.  The small bundle smelled a little weird when I took it out after the first 5, but it's dye, it all smells weird.

Well, it was burned.  Not only in terms of yucky brown colors, but the yarn actually broke.  Fortunately, it did what burning wool does very well - sort of sizzle away to nothing, no flame.  If you've ever singed your hair (or a hair as an experiment) you'll get the same idea.  I'm not even going to show you this crunchy, sad mess.  We can just share this learning moment together and look forward to the next dye session when I'll know to stop myself before nuking any fiber bundles.

In the meantime, Pretty Thing is done:


I might even have it upside down, I can't tell.  It's light as a feather, and the beads along each edge are just perfect.  It fits like a dream and is super warm.  I probably messed up the (um, so easy so what was the problem) pattern a few times, but the yarn is so dark, sticky, and fuzzy that I can't even tell.  I'm very happy with it and will look forward to the next Nelkin project in another month or so (even though I completely changed out the pattern for this one).

My spinning wheel is eyeing me today, so I hope to get started on Fruit Salad soon.

In wildlife news - Oogyhubby and I have each spied a heron flying overhead over the past few days.  The mammals continue to remain hidden from view, although the occasional cat from next door makes the rounds.

Comments

neuroknitter said…
That is one way to clear the stash--cook it into next week! I've also heard that you can use wool as compost...
Pretty Thing certainly lives up to its name!

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows