Old Is New?

This morning I cast on for May Hat:


I'm making this using some of the Northampton left over from my dad's slippers.  For some reason I way overestimated the yardage I needed for this lighter color (which is a subtle heather that looks just plain tan in this photo but is much nicer in person, creatively named Brown Heather), and I have nearly two full skeins remaining.  May Hat is one of the more unisex-looking hats of the series thus far (as is June Hat, but let's not get ahead of ourselves), so I thought a more neutral color would be suitable.

It will be a while before I need to release the provisional cast-on, but I think I figured out what I've been doing wrong all these years.  The latest set of directions I consulted (that actually accompanied the hat, but who looks at those when you think you already know how to do something!) has you picking up the live stitches starting at the bind-off end of the crochet chain.  Previously, I would always start at the other end - start goes with start, right?  I'll let you know what happens when we get there, but I've got 5 inches of K2P1 ribbing before all of that.

I'm making good progress on SRS #2 and am approaching the toe decreases for the first sock.  I know I said I should stop giving the Hawthorne a hard time, but I really don't enjoy working with it - I need to continue to keep the final product in mind, which will look great and hopefully wear like iron.

I feel like I've slacked off on the baby mitts recently, so I need to spend some time today working on those.  I'm using leftover Oogy Sock yarn for this latest pair, and find myself enjoying how I can revisit these former projects as I use the leftovers for the mitts.  I suppose it's a version of knitting from the stash, which always feels efficient and low-budget (although at some point there was likely an expense involved!).

I don't have any new wildlife news to report, but I do see a daylily flower that has appeared since yesterday - the first of many, I think.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for other flora or fauna of interest as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows