The Chair

This arrived yesterday and is currently awaiting placement in its final location in our house (probably somewhere in that room with the pink carpeting):


Long story short: my parents are coming to visit later this month, and my dad prefers to sleep in a recliner; we had nothing here even remotely resembling such a thing.  Fortunately, in this day and age the furniture manufacturers understand that a lot of people sleep in recliners, and so they are making chairs that are firm, durable, and roomy.  This one is made by Lane (species Rancho), and I got it through Amazon.  I have nothing but good things to say about my experience with the entire process, and I think my dad is really going to enjoy this chair.  I haven't tried knitting in it yet, but I do expect to spend many happy hours reading in it (that will require a lamp, which will be a whole other adventure - all in due time!).

I also took a picture of one of the flowers on the now-confirmed lilac bush:


The blooms are fragrant and definitely of the lilac variety!  I have no idea what sub-type it is, but the thing has gone crazy and will need to be trimmed back somehow at the appropriate time.

In knitting news: the FM socks are done and awaiting their photo opp (perhaps next to the lilac bush??); I'm 98% done with the knitting on my dad's slippers, seaming and felting will be the next chapters in that saga; Special Request sock #1 will get some more attention now; and another pair of baby mitts is in progress (the Franklin backorder has been relieved and a new cone will arrive tomorrow!).  It might be time to start something new - at least something that doesn't require the Karbonz!!!  I'm considering making May Hat in Northampton Brown Heather - its cabled pattern would be suitable for a man's hat, and for some reason I completely over-ordered this color for my dad's slippers!

So - some FM lessons learned (in no particular order):

- I can manage toe-up socks, but do not prefer them

- If toe-up must happen, there is a way to create the heel I prefer

- The next time I need to do back and forth stockinette, I will identify a technique I can use that will reduce or eliminate that rowing out effect

- Don't sweat the small stuff.  Although the lace cuff is definitely backwards - I still have no idea how that is, but whatever - the recipient won't know or care. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows