Blowin in the Wind

What does a turkey look like on a really windy day, while walking across the big grass?

The answer, my friend, when blowing in the wind, a silly feathered umbrella about to turn itself inside out:


(I'm not sure which is worse, the picture or my lyrics!!!!)

Yes, the turkeys were back again this morning, this time headed into the woods from who knows where (I noticed them at about the point where they are in the picture - taken from our bedroom window).  There were only 4 or 5 of them, and they were sort of ambling around, definitely not marching, and definitely not in single file.

We saw the fox briefly yesterday, bounding into the woods.  No sign of the deer, but they are so well camouflaged this time of year it's possible they're here every day laughing at me from the cover of the woods.

In other adventures, I spent some very frustrating time with the Salt-Crusted Edging this morning.  I've made it through the first lace pattern repeat (9 more to go!!):


I'm still not completely satisfied, but I'm going to have to go with it.  The beads don't always lie perfectly on the right side of the work.  I keep pushing them around, and mostly they're OK, but I really like it when beads sit there firmly and don't migrate to inappropriate places.  So one of the initial challenges I had with this portion of the sock is that I kept expecting the beads to lie perfectly.  With some manipulation, I think they're about 85% there.

The other challenge I had was that I didn't go far enough into the pattern before deciding there was a problem and bailing (well, there were other problems too, related to counting, but let's assume those have been addressed).  I must have started, and ripped out, about 12 times before progressing to this point.  The lace needed a chance to spread out; when it did, the bead location issue somewhat improved and everything made a bit more sense.

In the end - this is supposed to be a whimsical design feature for these socks.  No one else is going to care, or even notice, if 15% of the beads are facing the wrong way.  I'll never get to the second sock at this rate, so onward we go!

Comments

neuroknitter said…
You have an amazing amount of patience, Oogy. If I were knitting that sock it would have long ago been flung out the window and would probably have knocked out a turkey or 2.
I am eager to see the finished sock!

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Pillows

Poisons