FM - Some Decisions and Their Ramifications

There are some really good things going on with the Frozen Margarita socks; specifically, I've rounded the heel and have completed two of the lime wedges on the leg, with only a few areas of re-work here and there where I failed to count:


Now, for a couple of new decisions that will have some implications I'll need to deal with.

First, as you can sort of see in the above picture and bit better in the below picture, as the lime slices are worked as short-rows back and forth, I end up knitting and purling in alternate rows for about 6 rows.  Unfortunately, since I was taught the English method of knitting, I throw my yarn and wrap it counterclockwise around the needle, which by design creates purl stitches that are slightly larger than knit stitches.  When this happens in stockinette stitch, especially in less flexible yarns, it creates a textured striping effect (the accepted technical term is "rowing out", and one knitter evidently familiar with the scientific method performed an experiment to test the various remedies for getting around this phenomenon):


I realized this was a possibility when I saw how the lime slices were designed, and I keep hoping it will block out a bit better (along with the rest of the sock - it all looks a bit shabby right now).  However, I made the decision to carry on, and am making the decision to remain consistent (and keep rowing out with all of the lime slices).  By itself, this might not sway me from giving these as a gift, especially for a non-knitter.  (BTW - the remedy is to throw the yarn for the purls clockwise, then work the stitches through the back loop on the following row so as not to twist them - which may have just put me over the edge with these socks anyway.)

HOWEVER - now that I'm well past the heel, I'm afraid that I've also made the foot far too long for the intended recipient (I blame this whole unfamiliar toe-up heel process).  I am making the decision to forge ahead (rather than rip everything out to before the heel), knowing that there is a good possibility that these will not be suitable for the intended recipient.  It will all be revealed in the blocking, at which time I will either be relieved that these aren't as long as they first appeared (and I will suck it up on the rowing out), or I will be looking for someone with longer feet to give these to!  (And quite possibly swap in the Zigzagular Socks I made a few weeks ago?)

In other news - a bird is building a nest in one of our rain gutters.  Oh, the joys of living amidst all this wildlife!  (The nest is going to have to go, and we'll want to install some gutter screens to detract any future activities there.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Pillows

Poisons