The Right Tools

I know I'm stating the obvious when I say that the right tools make a difference, but so far today I've had two examples of that, and I thought I'd share them with you in lieu of more pictures of FM Sock #2 (I'm about halfway through the gusset and hope to start the heel this evening or tomorrow morning!  But you're already sick of hearing about these socks, aren't you?  Perhaps it's time to start thinking about something new?? (MONKEYSOCKS)).

The first example was provided by the ladies at Mason Dixon Knitting.  I signed up for their daily emails, just so I could guarantee something fun in my inbox each day (you can also follow along on their web site at your own pace if you prefer).  Today, Kay posted about knitting sweater sleeves with something called "FlexiFlips".  I hadn't heard of them before, but they appear to be super short circulars, and using more than one of them on a sleeve or a hat gives you the small circumference knitting of DPNs without the fidgeting or terror that some people face (and without the fidgeting of magic loop or two larger circs).  I tend to prefer DPNs, but it's good to know there is another option out there.  (I also note that, at least on Amazon, these are not cheap - about $30 for a set; but they are Addis, after all).  Kay asked for feedback on these, and there are already more than 100 responses, so you can check out what others think of these strange things as well!  She is screaming along the sleeves of her current sweater, and already has an eye on her next project too!

For the second example - yesterday I had a large amount of gravel delivered so that we could fill some potholes on our driveway.  Of course they came earlier than planned when I wasn't here, and they also dumped it in huge piles instead of spreading it out along the length of the section.  I expected to do work, but did not expect to have to relocate the mounds (which were too tall to drive over; driving around is not an option in this section so the driveway was blocked).  I grabbed a shovel, metal rake, and bucket, and got the mounds down to a size that I could at least drive over.

I used the bucket because I didn't want to have to call Oogyhubby at work and ask for the combination to the shed AGAIN (after he's told me 8 million times already but did I write it down?).  After working until I knew any more would over-do it, I at least got the pile down to a size that we could drive over; I called it about 60% done and resolved to continue the work today.

Anyway - this morning I sucked it up and asked for the combo again - and wrote it down!  This time, I was able to retrieve the wheelbarrow from the shed, which spared me from having to lift, carry, and dump a heavy bucket every couple of minutes.  I still had to shovel and rake, but the wheelbarrow made all the difference!!  (There will be more raking, and possibly shoveling, after we drive over this area a bit more.)

Wheelbarrows are not knitting needles, but the right tool for the right job can mean the difference between success and misery!!

On the wildlife front - the birds have been relatively quiet so far today.  I saw a deer out in the woods yesterday afternoon, and on my way "into town" today I saw a pheasant crossing the road.  We're due for some rain and cold (someone mentioned snow??) this weekend, so perhaps everyone has headed for shelter.  However, if the weather stays this nice today, I'll be headed back out to the deck again later!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Pillows

Poisons