What Was I Thinking???

After happily finishing the ribbing for JH #2 the other evening, I had to ponder the pattern for quite some time in order to figure out what exactly was going on.  If I started the chart at the beginning of the row, the ribbing and cable patterns would be misaligned (it's a 1x1 rib except in those sections where the cable panel originates - in which case it's 2x2).  After some contemplation, I decided to back the beginning of the row up to the point in the ribbing where it made sense to start the cable pattern.  And I thought to myself - I don't remember this being an issue when I made JH #1!!!

Well, for good reason - I had actually FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS for JH #1, and started the beginning of the row where the pattern author had indicated within the cable pattern (rather than at the beginning of the line).  Doing so results in some jockeying around of the row marker each row, but it made sense the first time around, and I can't believe I didn't remember that (or even read the cable pattern closely enough to notice the row indicators!!).  It's all the same in the end, for the most part, but if I had been paying attention I might be done by now!!

In other yarn adventures - this morning I tried machine felting my mom's slippers.  I used the word TRIED because a High Efficiency washer came with this house.  I'm definitely of the mindset that the more bells and whistles there are, the more likely something can go wrong; some things are best left simple, and that includes washing machines, cars, and dishwashers.  These HE washers pretend to be savvy about water temps and levels, but I'm not convinced that they work as well as the lower-frills versions.  This one is definitely not helpful for felting - let's just say that I got the slippers maybe 20% felted after 3 cycles, so I then wrung them out and threw them into the (much older but definitely better for felting) tumble dryer.  After about maybe 1/2 hour or so (joined by a couple of old towels), they were slightly crunched but felted to my liking.  A bit of shaping with some plastic bags for drying the rest of the way and they should be good to go!  I'll take some pics in a day or so, before I send them along to my mom.

The Zigzagular socks were delivered yesterday, and evidently were promptly slammed right on by their recipient!

I'm finally able to match a sound I've been hearing with the bird I've been seeing.  There is an abundance of red-winged blackbirds here - they are distinctive and just lovely.  I've been hearing their song a lot lately as well, and now I know who's been making all that noise!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Pillows

Poisons