Missed A Step!!

I see today that I missed a step in the earlier part of the haying process - between whisking and baling, the hay needs to be raked into long mounds so that the baling machine can just suck it right in.  The farmers were here doing that first thing this morning.  Today they are baling the hay into blocks, and it is super fun to watch this because the baling machine shoots the block of hay up into the air and into the wagon that is pulled behind it all.  Not sure why they made round bales earlier, and are now making square ones - different customers, perhaps?

I took a couple of pics on my way out this morning, before they got started.  Here is the field that has been whisked and is awaiting raking and bailing:


Here is their ancient tractor and I think the whisking thing on the back of it (the tractor appears to be posing here!):


I'll miss all of the haying excitement, but I see that there is more hay coming up under what has just been cut.  There should be a second cutting later in the year, so we will have that to look forward to!

I've been doing some knitting as well - mostly Hocus Pocus MONKEYSOCKS and a bit of lace (although Neuro is still way ahead!).  May Hat is drying and awaiting its self-pom (which I still need to make).  I got started on June Hat:


If you use yarn that is packaged in 220 yards or more you can make more than one hat from the two skeins by reversing the colors.  I'm making this in Colrain, which is a Merino/Tencel blend made by Webs and is packaged in skeins of about 100 yards - so I'm only making one.  I don't love the pattern, but it is different.  I think July Hat is scheduled for release this coming week, so I'm still behind but not too bad.  (You might recall that April hat is still awaiting blocking and a pom as well!)

Here are the latest baby mitts - the ends are made in the sample of You Rang? that I got with a recent yarn order; you can't see it much here but there are some dark purples in there.  I might have enough for another pair so we'll see.  I definitely didn't have enough for ties anyway, but I thought the pink softened up the overall effect:


I'm also thinking about making another pair of socks - for no one in particular, although it seems like having some "spares" around might not be a bad idea!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows