A Different Perspective

I spent some focused time yesterday getting through the first lower border of Dunella, and also added my first lifeline after Row 11:


I also spent some time watching a few videos on YouTube (this one also has some particularly lovely scenery; this one (starts at about 39:00) includes the woman who wrote the Dunella pattern, Kathleen Anderson (thanks, Neuro, for pointing that out to me)!!), as well as reading a couple of articles, regarding Fine Shetland Lace.  Here are some of my thoughts:

- This style of lace (COBWEB yarn, every-row pattern, Shetland wool) is a time-honored tradition that has been passed down through several generations of Shetlanders.  It's exciting and inspiring to be part of this experience!

- Why have I let this stuff freak me out - it's just knits and YOs.  The Shetland lace knitters don't use stitch markers OR lifelines - they can read their knitting.  Now, I can usually read my knitting as well, except in the case of all those YOs - for some reason, those get me all befuddled, even every other row and with fatter yarn.  However - since I've learned to read my knitting (mostly), there is no reason to think that I can't also learn to read these YOs, even in this teeney yarn.  (In the meantime, I will be sure to add lifelines - after all, I'm not a Shetlander!!)

- These folks fling these shawls around like they're made of leather.  Although this yarn is teeney, it is spun well and is very strong.  I've been tip-toeing around it - evidently there is no need for that.

- I definitely need to make sure to focus and count out loud when I work on this pattern.  That's just the way it will be, and I can embrace that.

In other news - there are clumps of these day lilies all over the place:


Evidently the deer don't eat these either.  (Speaking of deer - evidently Mama Deer and Oogyhubby had a staring contest this morning over breakfast - she was at the border of the lawn/field, and he was at the window.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows