Starting to Make Some Sense

I don't want to get too carried away, but some of this fine lace knitting is starting to make some sense.

First off - I've just completed Row 5 of the center panel, which makes me two rows further along today than I was yesterday:


About this I am victorious.  I must have re-knit sections of Row 4 like 25 times, only to discover that I somehow - imagine how this could happen with single ply teeney yarn because I have no idea - split the yarn in one stitch.  Once I figured that out (which fortunately was closer to the end of the row so I didn't have too much to keep tinking back), I was good to go. 

I then had to re-start Row 5 like 10 times, because I. Can't. Count.  Once I counted correctly, it all worked out - hardly a miracle, but I'm still celebrating over here.

But I now know why the Shetland lace ladies use the long needles and the waist belt - they stretch out their work as they go so they can see what they're doing!  I can't tell you how many times I had to stretch out the section I was puzzling over just so I could see what was happening.  It all otherwise folds in on itself (even things in the above picture are still pretty coiled, and I smoothed them out a bit before asking them to SAY CHEESE).

What I also learned in my reading - since this is garter lace, the final product is essentially reversible!  And - no purling, for those of you who don't like to purl. 

I'm probably going to stop there for today in order to let my confidence continue to bloom.  After all, SRS #2 and baby mitts still need some attention!

Comments

neuroknitter said…
I know what you mean, Oogy. The strategy that has been working for me is to review the row and contemplate what happens in the next 83 stitches so that I can more easily keep track of where I am. I wish I had adopted this strategy earlier! I'm hoping that by the time we reach row 56 it will not be so challenging. I really didn't know what I was getting us into!

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows