Stitch Markers as Row Counters - Who Knew???

So yesterday I dove into All About That Brioche after seeing that the first section is entirely garter stitch (so I don't need to worry about a practice 2-color brioche swatch just yet; although I'd made an entire scarf in 2-color brioche stitch last year but I'm fairly certain my fingers don't remember how that went after all this time).  This section is a 6-row repeat (having to do with variation involving increases and decreases), and so I tried something I'd seen recently on a knitting podcast: using a stitch marker with a lobster clasp as a progress tracker:


(But first - take some time to admire the lovely dark iris colored yarn - isn't it awesome???)

This trick works amazingly well.  In the past, I've kept manual track of rows, and so many times I'd forget to keep count.  Some patterns don't lend themselves to easy reading of the knitting, so this often ended badly.  This combination of pattern and counting is perfect - hook the marker on, work for 3 garter ridges, then  move the marker.  It is also a nice bonus that this marker coordinates so well with the yarn!!

In other news - this morning, upon returning home from getting my car de-weaponized (airbag recall taken care of), I saw that the tractor was gone!  Oogyhubby had been home and reported that the farmer had taken another pass at the field before driving it off.  I wonder what will happen next??

Signs of the changing seasons - I'm starting to see and hear geese flying around.  When we had the lake cottage, this would be about the time of year that the purple martins would all head out for their southern migration.  We had a large martin house there, and they were very noisy - it was always a sad quiet after they left.  Their little clicks and chirps were quite charming.  We've talked about putting up a martin house here and hoping for the best - they love to swoop over lakes and fields, but they're not so prolific away from the big lake.  Might be worth a try, however!

Comments

neuroknitter said…
Lovely iris color, indeed!

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows