The Inbetween

We've had some really lovely weather here lately - sunny, breezy, cooler days, and very cool nights.  There's a bit of rain in the forecast for the rest of the weekend.  I really love this weather - it's the time of year inbetween the super hot summer and the dark and snowy winter.  We can have the windows open all day and night.  I don't like what comes next, but I'm certainly enjoying this.

I'm also in a yarn inbetween, of sorts.  I just learned that the date for the Granny Log Cabin isn't until October 1 - so I can stop risking repetitive crochet injuries and slow down a little on that.  And I've just gotten to the brioche part of All About.  It seems like it's time to pick up some of those other projects, the ones that I can finish up inbetween these other, larger ones.  I can enjoy those, and also enjoy these larger projects that happen around them.

However, we remain under siege.  This afternoon we were outside, stacking the rest of the firewood, when I heard pecking.  PECK PECK PECK PECK.  I ran over to the side of the house where that peckerhead has been before, but the noise wasn't coming from there.

It was coming from inside a bluebird house that is located in the middle of our driveway's turning circle.  I walked in that direction a little closer, and the peckerhead actually stuck his head out of the opening.

So, I'm of two minds.  The first is, I'd rather have him pecking in the bluebird house than pecking at our wooden house.  But - we can't tell my dad; he's the one who made the bluebird house (complete with a little roofing shingle on top).  He will literally drive straight here, stake out that pecker, and shoot BBs at it until the cows come home.  I'm OK with all of that, actually, but then that might send the pecker back to the side of our house!

We also seem to have a small fruit fly outbreak in the house.  I blame the bananas that I got last weekend.  I employed the apple-cider-vinegar-and-dish-soap combo with a paper funnel and a mason jar.  There are already signs of success - woo hoo!!

A bit of other wildlife news - I've been enjoying watching the batties fly around during and just after sunset (before it gets too dark to see them!).  We might want to look into getting some bat houses - although those might turn out just to be woodpecker decoys as well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Pillows

Poisons