Further Away Than When I Started

Hello on Artichoke Pasta Tuesday!  I hope this finds you safe and well; we're good here.

Many, many years ago, before Oogyhubby and I were married, it seems we'd decided to go on some kind of camping trip to one of the Finger Lakes with a pre-SIL and two of her friends, let's call them J and C.  J and C were also a couple.  We had planned to all meet up and carpool, but somehow everyone was super late, so by the time we set off to find the campground, it was dark.  C was driving, and the rest of us were trying to figure out how to get there.

Now keep in mind, this is the early 1990s - so there are no cell phones, or Garmins, or even car compasses like there are today.  Long story short, we couldn't find the campground to save our lives.  We drove around and around and kept getting lost.  At one point we found a sign, something like XX Campground, 12 miles.  Some time later, we saw another sign, XX Campground, 22 miles.

Suddenly, C exclaimed - What the hell!!??  We're further away than when we started!!

And that's why, nearly 30 years later, we still find ourselves giggling when we get further behind than where we were when we started.

(We were so far away that we ended up bailing until the next day.  So we had to reverse carpool, drive home, and then all meet up again the next day.  We finally found the place, but I don't remember much else we did there except hang out by the water.)

So today I'm further behind than when I started on the NNWA.  Mostly because I wasn't thinking.  I took it out to work on this morning and thought - hooray, a new section, time to change colors!  So I cut the old color (as directed) and got nearly three rows into the new section before realizing that - I'd left off the last two rows of the last section.

I thought about it for a few minutes.  How much was thing going to bother me?  Was it worth doing over and having yet another set of yarn ends to work in?  Who will notice anyway?

Well, it was going to bother me.  A lot.  The design is rather symmetrical, and the missing two rows were pretty obvious.  Off it came from the needles, and out came the nearly three rows of purple.  I'll be starting all of that over again later today!

The one advantage is that I got to see the blanket laid out and not squished up on the circular needle.  It's going to be awesome, and a rather impressive size.

I had another first-world setback last evening, when I ran out of yarn with about three rows to go on my dad's second slipper.  I'd used the same color (but different dyelot) on another pair of slippers some time ago, so I have two small balls I can use.  I'm hoping it won't look that different once it's all knit up and felted.  Fingers crossed!

In wildlife news: there were either five, or five million, geese in the next field over this morning.  They make such a racket it's hard to tell how many of them there are.

We're getting alternating sun and lake flurries today, so Benson got to wear his rain jacket for the first time.  It's reversible, so when it's wet the water resistant side is on the outside, otherwise it's a cute plaid flannel.  Velcro everywhere.  He didn't seem to mind, but I think he was a bit puzzled about why there was snow on his head and not on the rest of him.


Comments

neuroknitter said…
How did we survive without smart phones? Neurobro and I drove out West in 2 cars around that same time and used CB radios to stay in touch. These did not help us find a camp ground in South Dakota; Bullwinkle got lost and didn't arrive until almost midnight!
Oogyknitter said…
LOL!!!! Does that mean you were Rocky????

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Pillows

Poisons