Repurposing

Happy Thursday!  I hope you're well; we're good here!

I was pretty computer-busy over the past couple of days, and didn't really have too much to report, so I decided to skip a day.  Which turned into two - yikes!  The time just flies some days.  I also have to keep reminding myself that June is coming up soon too!

I thought I'd talk a little today about repurposing - yarn, that is, although it certainly can pertain to other things as well!  The fact that I now have both an upstairs and a downstairs yarn stash, and that the upstairs actually exists in two parts, says that I have plenty of opportunities to repurpose yarn.  (The stash hasn't gotten any bigger since we moved, it's just sort of naturally sorted itself out into active use, partial or proto-projects, and deep stash).

I went through a phase a few years ago when I was absolutely obsessed with lace knitting (if you can imagine that!) - shawls, mostly.  At one point I even joined a lace shawl club.  Have I made any of those shawls yet?  Nope.  Do even like any of them?  Maybe one or two.  The rest just sit there and glare at me.

But guess what: two strands of laceweight held together is roughly the equivalent of a sport- or DK-weight yarn.  And THIS is where the fun starts!


This is Neuro's Switching Modes cowl pattern, which calls for sport weight yarn.  I don't have a lot of that hanging around, but I do have all of this laceweight....  This particular one happens to be 100% cashmere, if you can believe it!  Combined with some of the yarn from my first failed attempt at speckle dyeing, and I'm getting this amazingly soft, sturdy fabric in super fun colors.  Not bad for a project made for free!  (Well, if you disregard sunk costs, LOL!)

I'm not sure if I'm using these patterns correctly, though - since my knitting technique is so lopsided, instead of purling every other row I'm knitting backwards - just like I did with the SM Howl.  So maybe my brain is slightly less relaxed as a result?

I also don't know what happened with the May Gift pattern - it hasn't appeared yet, and there's no mention of it anywhere.  The Kelbourne folks have started a sweater knitalong, so maybe they've been completely distracted by that.  This series was another good way to repurpose yarn, or at least knit from stash.  I'll keep an eye out, but I'm super bummed about it.

Maybe this means I should cast on for something else now????

In wildlife news: Last evening was so lovely I sat by the bedroom window and watched the clouds change color as the sun set.  Suddenly I saw our batties flying around: my first bat sightings of the year!  I watched them until it got too dark to see them.  Eat those bugs, batties!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Pillows

Poisons