Norwegian Purling??

Happy Friday, all!  We've all made it through the week, and I hope you're well and safe; all continues to be good here.

On Part 9 of their Daily Quarantine Knitting podcast, Arne and Carlos include a short demo to help explain one of the technical details of their knitalong project.  Arne is working right along, zooming back along the row, and Carlos says, off camera, something like - What you're seeing is Norwegian purling; don't worry about it now, but if you want to learn more, we've got some videos that will teach you.

What/???  Norwegian Purling????

So I headed for Very Pink Knits (after singing her praises to you just yesterday, how could I not?).  And guess what this technique does:  it lets you purl continental while leaving the yarn at the back of the work!!  Yes, I'm a thrower, but I hold the second color of yarn in my left hand when knitting Fair Isle - which made purling with that color complicated beyond belief.  So I would just change the yarns using my right hand, as in Intarsia.  This new way would get around all of that.  It looks complicated but also kind of fun - sort of like the long tail cast-on, or even knitting with double pointed needles, once you figure it all out.  I'm definitely going to practice this Norwegian thing - it will definitely come in handy!

So this happened yesterday:


It's what remains from the previous cone of Franklin, the yarn I use for the uncolored parts of the preemie mitts (yes, it's an empty cone, LOL).  I get this yarn by the cone, one of which will last me anywhere from 1-2 years, depending on my mitt production.  I got the replacement cone a while ago (it is very fat in comparison), so I'm all set to keep going for some time!

In other news - Oogydad suggested that one of the reasons the deer have been so scarce lately is that it's fawn season, so they're all out in the woods taking care of that.  I'll be on the lookout for some wee ones in the coming weeks.  Meanwhile, there is one large deer slowly grazing in the woods just outside my window right now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows