(Sort of) Reveal

Happy Monday!  I hope this finds you healthy and safe!  We're still good here.

Neuro and I had one of our regularly-scheduled Skype meetings over the weekend, during which we shared our coronavirus-themed projects with each other.  Let's just say that Neuro's is soooooooper cuuuuuute, and I really hope that she will blog about it (or similar) some time!

As I'd predicted, mine is nowhere close to being finished.  But - in the spirit of revealing - I'll catch you up on where I'm at right now, and will provide updates going forward!

I got my inspiration from the pattern for these mitts, as well as from googling around at other cowl patterns to determine size and shape.  I modified the chart as follows:


This is actually my work in progress - the bottom magnet is marking my place as I move up the chart, and the other magnets are securing the paper to the board.  I think the entire chart repeats a total of five times to make it all the way around the cowl (I'm knitting in the round so the whole thing is one big circle - no seams or grafting!).  The circular parts are a lighter color so I could include a symbol for the texture - this is where the beads are going.

Here is where it's at right now:


You can sort of see the beads right in the middle of the pic.

And, since no coronavirus would be complete without complications, I'm working it in double knitting; here is the back side:


So I'm essentially making two cowls at the same time - the front part (with the beads), and a reverse image on the back.  The front part is worked as usual, but in order to create the back part every other stitch is purled; both yarns move back and forth.  This produces a nice, squooshy fabric, with no floats to worry about!  The two sides are "connected" each time there is a color change.  It's slower going, and sometimes the chart is disorienting (each square on the chart is actually two stitches, in the two different colors), but I'm trying to work on it a bit each day so there will be progress.

In the meantime, I continue to knit backwards on Neuro's other new project, and I'm about to finish the knitting on BadAss Hybrid!

We had some dramatic clouds, rain, and big wind yesterday as a cold front swept through.  Right at sunset, a large group of birds (probably crows) flew over the house, into the sunset and also into the wind.  They pretty much glided the whole way somehow.  It was very cool to watch!

Comments

neuroknitter said…
I can't wait to see how your cowl evolves. It looks awesome so far! I might consider a fair isle version of it. With beads!!!
Oogyknitter said…
Excellent!!! I will email you a copy of the chart!

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Pillows

Poisons