Obsessed

I am absolutely obsessed with working on my latest cowl, BadAss Handspun:


Here are the rules (so far, anyway!):

- Use Casapinka's Cut The Scrap framework - e.g., gauge, # stitches, some of the stitch patterns, etc.

- Use my handspun

- For each new color of handspun, keep going until it's all gone - handspun is too precious!  Make this the new beginning of row, and keep moving it as needed for each new neutral-colored stripe.  This creates more ends to weave in (because the neutral-colored yarn doesn't travel all the way up the seam as it does in the original pattern), but that's the only downside as far as I can tell.

- Let each new yarn tell me what kind of stitch pattern it wants to be.  All of these are roughly fingering or heavy fingering weight, but they differ in terms of fiber content and length.  This part is the most fun, because Casapinka's stitch counts (148 to start, then increasing to 160) allow for a lot of options and flexibility.  I think this is the part that keeps me obsessed - I can't wait to start the next new color, because I don't yet know what it will turn out to be!

- Wait until each new color is nearly done until picking the next new color out of the assembled pile.  A lot of these have subtle color changes that show up differently, and it helps to see how they look before deciding what might be fun to go next.

Prior to embarking on this adventure, and in order to free up these lovely one-piece, plastic circulars, I finished the knitting on BadAss Spring Scrappy:


She'll also need a cuff once her ends have been worked in, and she has gone for a swim.

Today I'm spending my knitting time working on the second side of CWA Phase IV, whilst reading 11/22/63 by Stephen King.  I was a huge fan of his until that business with the Gunslinger, but a writer friend recommended this one.  Garter stitch borders are perfect reading-knitting - I only need to look for the picking up and casting off!

The wildlife have been up to their usual wandering around (or, in the case of the geese, flying around); we're in for some sunny and warmer weather so perhaps that will bring out some new participants!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows