Not My Grandmother's Knitting

I hope this finds you all safe and well today!  We're still good here :)

Yesterday I had another idea for my MCP.  Why not make it even more complex and time-consuming, LOL!


Beads!!!!

(The colors here look terrible - I'm hoping it's just the camera.  I'm trying to use stash ingredients so my choices are somewhat limited.)

My grandmother would have been absolutely amazed by how much we've all created, "unvented", and learned since "her time".  She taught me how to knit and crochet when I was very young, and she had passed away before The Internet taught me some of these cool things.  Although no one could whip up a pom-pom like she could - I'll never forget the astonishing demo she gave me one time!

One of these cool things is what happens when you have yarn, a bead that the yarn can fit through, and access to those teeny steel crochet hooks.  I was never interested in crocheting with any of them, but evidently my grandmother had been in her younger days - I got a ton of them from her!

The best idea that anyone ever had for beads was that you can add them as you go.  No sitting there for hours, stringing them all onto your yarn.  And hoping that the yarn didn't have any knots in it (how likely is that??), and that the yarn didn't break as a result of the friction from all the beads moving up and down on it. 

All you have to do is what I started to do in the above pic (although imagine the wad of yarn is your project).  Work to the stitch where you want to place the bead, stick the teeny steel crochet hook through the hole in the bead, pull the yarn through in a loop, and use that loop as the next stitch you need to work.  Ta-dah!!

In other knitting news - I don't think I mentioned here that I re-learned how to knit backwards recently (another thing that would have blown my grandmother's mind!).  This is to get around the "rowing out" that appears in my stockinette stitch when worked flat (versus in the round), likely resulting from my throwing the yarn counterclockwise (it travels longer for a purl than for a knit, so purl stitches end up bigger, as if you'd knit them with a larger needle!).

Knitting backwards translates to working what would ordinarily be the purl row as a knit row instead.  I end up working from left to right (instead of right to left), with the knit (or smooth) side always facing me (versus turning the work and actually purling back).  It's a little awkward at first, like any new skill, but if i don't over-think it, my fingers know just what to do. 

Here's a link to a helpful video if you're interested in learning more about this technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIo-m6vfd-U&t=13s

I find that "Very Pink Knits" often has the most helpful technical videos - she has a ton of them!

I don't have any new wildlife news to report - all continues quiet on that front as well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Pillows

Poisons