Surprising Sleeves

With the completion of the last three projects - the two cowls and the Unicorn Explosion - I had some project bags available for other things.  The CWA had outgrown its former bag, so it got moved into the large bag that formerly housed Unicorn (whose ends all got worked in this morning, so it's officially complete!).  The queue pile was looking a bit bereft of UFOs, so I retrieved one that I could use about this time of year:  the Colour Your Own sweater  I'd gotten it as a kit many years ago, and always seemed to get in my own way of completing it.

Much to my surprise, I'd finished the sleeves!!  (They're not blocked or anything, but you get the idea):


I'd also started the body, too, but I did a lot of tinkering around with the pattern and of course kept terrible notes.  These sweaters are very blousey - way too much positive ease in all the wrong places (for me, anyway).  I know I took a lot of the poofiness out of the sleeves, and probably attempted to make the body a bit boxier.  This wool isn't messing around - this would make for a great outdoor sweater.  I'll need to spend some quality time with the body of the pattern to figure out what I did, and to prepare for how best to set in the sleeves when it comes time.  I have even knit the pockets - they are all ready to be set in as well.  This thing is knit on #8 needles; I spend my time using sizes 0-4, so it will feel like knitting with baseball bats when the time comes!

(These colors also align with those for the Viking Hat!  Imagine that!!)

I should note here that these recent projects are really starting to put a dent in the yarn stash.  I haven't been tracking it officially, but my output has definitely been greater than my input over the course of the past year.  Surprises like sleeves and an entire afghan kit will soon be a thing of the past!  (Although we won't speak just yet about the fiber stash for spinning - that's a whole other ballgame!)

(Four deer just wandered by in the woods outside my window.  They're a lot easier to see in the fresh snow, but only when they are moving!)

Comments

neuroknitter said…
I remember looking at the kit with you during a visit to Oogyland. That was awhile ago! That you've reached that particular project in the pile of UFOs means great progress. At some point soon you will actually NEED to get more yarn.

Popular posts from this blog

Wedding Pillows

Poisons