Evidently It's The Hats

It turns out that the competing priorities from yesterday were a good rest from my recent knitting blitz; however, I did spend a little time working on the third motif for the Viking Hat:


The next phase is all the decreases; I'm going to add a little "flame" at the top as well.  I love how this hat is turning out - it's so colorful and has been super fun to knit (even with all those ends glaring at me!  I continue to ignore them).  It's possible this might happen today, but since I missed working on the CWA seaming yesterday, that should happen first.

Now for some reality:  I'm very disappointed with the first prototype for Goat Hat.  Here are a couple of pics, courtesy of Oogyhubby's head:



I don't like the shape of the hat, and it's too tall (I'm extremely partial to beanies).  I could bring the designs down further, and start the decreases sooner, but then the brim gets in the way.  It's possible that a fingering weight version might be more suitable, so I can give that a try at some point. 

But - I'm in love with the charts.  It's a little self-serving, since I actually made up the goaties, but the script is also very cool and I like the combo.  But perhaps it's not hat-worthy, and would be more suitable for a cowl? 

Oogyhubby suggested that I should put a goat face inbetween the G and the ?, and not bother with the line of goaties at the top.  I think I'll try this version next, but there will need to be some designing of the goat face first.  I'll also think about changing up the yarn weight and the cowl options as well. 

(Neuro once showed me a whole series of hats that she made when designing her Shetland Webcams series; I now have this approach in mind for Goat Milk, and will consider it a longer-term endeavor.)

In wildlife news: last evening I returned home from "book club" after dark and, as I approached the house, I saw the silhouettes of at least eight deer running across the driveway between me and the bright light on the house.  I'd also seen them in groups of two and three pretty much all morning - out in the woods, wandering at the edges, etc.

(I put "book club" in quotes because I get together with a group of former colleagues once every couple of months; when we all worked together, we'd meet for coffee early in the day and probably did more reading then as well.  We say the reading is optional, although a couple of us try to keep up with it all.  Last night we had a 5-minute discussion of the book - The Red Tent, by Anita Diamant - surrounded by updates of health and family, shared work experiences, and general shouting over the din of yet another craft brewery that insists on those high ceilings with exposed beams and lots of resonating spaces.  We're going to try a wine bar next time, and may need to reconsider our venue choices - although we're pleased to support our local businesses.  Also - there can never be enough beer, especially with the plethora of fresh water and farmland that we have in this area!)

Comments

neuroknitter said…
Awesome hats!!
I love the goats and the lettering. Would it be possible to put the goats, or the lettering, on the brim?

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows