The Right Tools

One of the best lessons I've learned as an adult is that the right tools will make many jobs sooooo much easier and better!  Everything from a torque wrench extension to a sharp kitchen knife!!  Of course this is also true for knitting - where would we be without our circular needles, wooden DPNs, ball winders, or stitch markers? 

And so of course the same is true for some minor metalwork.  Yesterday I completed the experimental cowl cuff for the latest BadAss Scrappy Cowl:


I'd gotten a pile of inexpensive leather bracelets from Amazon to experiment with, but they all have that slidey knot thing instead of a closure of some sort.  That's great if you want them to be bracelets, but that won't work for a cowl cuff!  I had to get inventive.  First I trimmed the ends; then two YouTube videos, one blood blister, and a bit of frustration later I got this:


Additional things I learned from this experience:

- If I'm going to make any more of these, I will want the proper tools, especially cutters (they will be here on Tuesday).

- Using a 6-sided pencil to make the large loop will give you a loop that is a bit notched!  (Why didn't I use a metal knitting needle??  I've got tons of those)

- Using flat-nosed pliers to make the small loops with give you a loop that is flat on one side (duh, in hindsight!!  Use the round-nosed pliers!).

- Using my fingers too close to the pliers can result in a small, yet painful, injury (all is well now).

I otherwise like the outcome.  With some practice and the right tools, I think they will improve in quality.

I finished the knitting on BadAss PawPrint Jr. last night - I decided to stop after three sets of paw motifs.  It will need finishing and swimming, but it looks great.

I needed some non-mitt mindless knitting last evening so I dug out a double-knitted blanket that I'd started last year, with the intent of giving it to our local animal shelter for a puppykitty.  It gave me some more good ideas for Goat Hat too!  The blanket will take me a while, but it's fun to work on.

In wildlife news - there were about 4 deer wandering around this morning in the woods, and after some time they ended up a bit close to the house just off our deck there.  Once again, and regretfully, I shooed them away.  It's like they flipped their tails at me as a rude gesture.  They wandered back around in the woods and I think I saw one of them lying down out there.  It's a bit warmer today, so the goaties are out as well.  Hopefully all these grazers are having a nice time of it!

P.S.  I'm still LOL-ing at Neuro's comment about not testing the Palette colors!  They did turn out awesome, and even more so since they were an experiment too!

Comments

neuroknitter said…
The colors in your latest scrappy cowl are very soothing. Nice cuff, too!

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows