It Depends

One of the most important and enduring things I learned in business school was that the answer to ANY question in business is - IT DEPENDS.  What is your objective?  How much do you want to spend?  What are the other factors that need to be considered?  Etc.

Evidently the same holds true for some knitting questions.  Take the one I posed recently: which is preferable for a thumb gusset - KFB, or M1R/M1L?  Guess what - it depends.  Take a look at a side-by-side comparison:


This is really a terrible example.  If I'd used KFB for the green mitten, the increases would be a lot more obvious.  The KFB increase creates a small horizontal bar - which is barely visible in the brown mitten due to its patterning and slight fuzziness (both yarns are Wool-Ease, go figure).

So, the answer to which increase is preferable is - IT DEPENDS.  If using a solid color and/or a yarn with high stitch definition (smoother), then you may want to use the M1R/M1L; otherwise, it might not matter so much, at least in terms of appearance.

Although you can see my needles at the top of the thumb of the green mitten, I've already finished it and started the second one.  I may start a third pair after that.  I know I'm supposed to be working on cowls, but for some reason these mitts are irresistible!

I'm not slacking on the CWA, however - I'm now 3/11 of the way through Phase III:


In wildlife news - the deer suddenly appeared just off our deck yesterday at dusk; Oogyhubby shooed them away.  There are a ton more tracks on the lawn and field, so they definitely return after dark!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows