Socks to Mitts - Pooling

The next pair of mitts to emerge from the pile of damaged socks is complete and awaiting its destiny:


Long-time readers of this blog might recall when I first made these socks.  At the time, I should have asked myself - what was I thinking???  This yarn is great, but look at the pooling.  This often happens when a skein of hand-painted yarn is combined with a pattern that is close enough to the size of the skein that the colors don't distribute - they stick together like they were on the original skein.  There are some ways to minimize or even avoid this by disrupting the pattern somehow, either through the use of slipped stitches or other techniques that mess with the diameter of the row.  I should have chosen a different pattern for this yarn.  It wouldn't necessarily have changed their outcome - the heel still had a giant blow-out - but I think this yarn deserved better somehow.

That being said - these will make fine mitts.  The yarn is soft and we're going to forgive the pooling.

I've got some kitchen activities on deck for today, so I'll hopefully be finishing the green mitts and possibly starting the next pair (gasp!) inbetween.  I think I'm going to make one more BadAss Scrappy Cowl before I start to use parts of that pattern to fashion something of my own creation.  I'll see if all of those yarns are willing to pose in their pre-knit state!

I don't have any wildlife news to report - all is quiet here for now!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows