A Most Unusual Week

Once again, I hope this find you all safe and well.  We're still good here!

It has, indeed, been a most unusual week for me - even amidst the extraordinary events we're all experiencing.

I don't mention much about my non-knitting activities here but, to make a long story short, over the past few months I've been trying to make a significant career change to that of a scientific/technical/medical writer/editor after my (now-previous) employer eliminated my position.  My biggest hurdle was not having enough significant/direct experience, even with a substantial and quality amount of business and academic writing.

I'm happy to say that I now have a competing priority - a part-time, freelance, technical writing job, with opportunities for increased hours and upward mobility.  And - it's remote!  I'm very impressed so far with the precision and clarity of their onboarding processes and documentation and, while it's not yet my dream job, I can see myself being happy and challenged there.  I'll continue looking for full-time work (with benefits), but the current crisis has forced a lot of employers to put those positions on hold for now.

In yarn news -

Although I still intend to scrounge through my fabric stash (which is orders of magnitude smaller than my yarn stash) to see if I have materials to make a face mask (if only for appearances when shopping at Weggies - I know the jury is still out on their effectiveness), I found this pattern and CROCHETED this:


It makes sense that the side-elastics of face masks wear on the ears, so this little device not only deflects the elastics but it also can help with a better fit in some instances.

Yes, it's the cart before the horse - or the ear saver before the mask.  But it was super quick - I think it took me longer to sew the buttons on than it did for me to crochet it.  (Yes, the holes in the buttons are a bit cockeyed.  I think these came from my grandmother, who may have gotten them out of the reject bin at the mill where she'd worked.  In find them charming.)  I've seen some 3-D printed and some laser cut versions, which are probably more practical and efficient, but I think this version is the cutest so far.

In wildlife news -

Last night we were startled to hear a fox screaming right outside our bedroom window.  If you've never heard this, you would think someone (or something) was being murdered - it's rather frightful.  Fortunately for me, I'm a fan of Midsomer Murders, and there are always foxes screaming in the background there.

The deer continue to wander around in the woods, and the birds continue to be very busy.  This morning I saw two Pileateds working on the same tree!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows