Masked and Ready

Happy Saturday!  I hope you are well and enjoying the start of your weekend!  We're good here!

I realized yesterday that I'd put off making a face mask long enough; as a matter of fact, our governor just made mask-wearing mandatory in public places such as grocery stores, so I needed to act quickly!

I followed the pattern here.  It's more of a couture face mask pattern, but it wasn't too difficult if you have any prior experience with sewing.  The only change I'll make for the next one is to eliminate the interfacing - it made for very bulky seams and pleats.  I may need to make the elastics longer as well, but I'll see how that works out when I have to wear it for real.

Here's what it looked like when things started getting serious:


(Note the serious-looking scissors and the cuuuuuute Snoopy pincushion.  I need to be sure to tell Oogymom this when I talk with her tomorrow, but she really set me up to be a great sew-er (if I don't hyphenate that, it looks like I could be a great sewer - yuck!!).  I distinctly remember her taking me shopping to purchase those scissors, and the pincushion was a stocking stuffer at one point.)

I have a very low-end but functional sewing machine; each time I went to raise the presser foot, I reached in the back - that's where it is on my mom's machine, but on mine it's to the right.  And then I remembered all those times I'd used my mom's machine to make random stuff.  I was always too impatient for sewing (yet somehow patient enough for knitting?  how does that work??), and was never very good at it, or happy with what I made.

My mom had bought her sewing machine to make her wedding dress.  She made most of our clothes when we were kids, and she even made me one hell of a prom dress.  She would make H-ween costumes, things for school plays and singing groups, and all sorts of things.  Her sewing machine is more than 60 years old, made completely of metal parts, and runs like a dream (after some recent, minor maintenance that Oogydad helped with).  She must have been disappointed that I didn't take to sewing like I took to yarn, but hopefully she'll be happy to know that the skills that have stuck with me got me to the point of making this:


It's not perfect, but at least nothing had to get stapled, LOL!!

In yarn news - I did some more work on Pure Joy yesterday.  I'm going to need to start looking around for another mindless knitting project sometime soon!

I don't have any new wildlife news to report, but the weather this weekend is supposed to be really nice, so there is a good chance there will be some upcoming action on that front!

Comments

neuroknitter said…
Your mask is beautiful, and perhaps more importantly, it looks very functional! The folks in Weggies will stare with admiration and envy.

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows