Release the Hounds!!

Guess what day it is???  Happy Hump Day!  I hope you are well; we're good here.

I'm putting this pic here first because Blogger will make it look humongous when you first land on this blog, and I find that incredibly amusing:


I got this fabric (it's no larger than a fat quarter) some time ago when I fancied myself an eventual quilter (that may yet happen, but fortunately my fabric collection remains modest).  I took a class at JoAnn with a friend and we made quilted table runners - mine is very proudly displayed and I love it.  Quilting does seem like an exercise in futility though - I mean, you spend all that time cutting the fabric up into little pieces, then putting them all back together again, with sewing??  LOL.

Anyway - I should have led with this fabric when presenting my selection to Oogyhubby, because he rejected everything I picked, then everything else I rummaged through, but then finally he laughed when he saw this one and liked it.  So I'll be making a face mask with these little hounds.

I'm not really sure what kind of hounds these are supposed to be, but I can tell you that they're not beagles.  How do I know?  Well, we had a beagle once (Brewster), so we got to be fairly beagle-savvy.  First of all, their ears are way too small.  Secondly, their tails would all be up in the air, like little flags.  Lastly, they would either be baying (so mouths pursed) or their tongues would be hanging out.  Or not even - beagles are so focused on smell that they would have their noses to the ground!!

I also wanted to show you the pic of my completed M's Day gift:


It's a terrible picture, but hopefully you get the idea.  I was going to knot the cord on either side of the center bead, but I figured I'd let my mom have that option if she wants a shorter necklace (she can make it even shorter by knotting the cord up by the clasp - so many options!). 

(As an aside - my mom tells me they have now scored some toilet paper.  I was going to send her some along with this and her other gifts, but I may still wrap one up just to be silly.)

I may also have made a cute little bag last night with some of the leftover slipper yarn.  It will need to be felted, but I'll show you a pic once I've worked in all the ends. (At this rate, that will be October!  my finishing pile is not small these days!)

I should add a little bit about Magic Loop here for my friends who are fairly new to knitting.  It's a technique where you use one really long circular needle to knit something much smaller in the round, like a sock.  Basically, it's a way to get around using all those double-pointed needles.  If you'd like to see how this is done, check out the always-helpful Very Pink Knits.

Neuro will recall that, several years ago, she and I spent a year focusing on new techniques - one new one every month.  We learned Magic Loop, two socks on two circs, knitting backwards, I tried tatting, I forget what else but it was a lot of fun.  So I'm not an expert, but I definitely have muscle memory for the Magic Loop because I was off and running with Squircle before I realized that the 40" Addi had completed its coup.  (Addi is a brand of metal knitting needles that is often recognized for being super-slippery, in a good way.)

In other news - I have my May assignments for my writing gig, and I'm going to be busy!  I have two smaller articles due next week, so I'd better get cracking!

Still not a lot of wildlife news to report, but I was remembering that it was nearly a year ago when the turkeys made their grand entrance (and exit!), so I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for them!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows