Joyful Isolation

Happy Friday!  I hope you are all well and had a good week!  We're still good here :)

I finished the first of my three library e-books yesterday, and also got Pure Joy well underway (which I have re-named Joyful Isolation for myself):


It's very Switching Modes-ian, isn't it?  (It's also upside-down, but this was the best way to pose it.)  I keep thinking that the two colors are too stark in this presentation, but there will be a large sweep of the blue at the end so that should tie it all together nicely.

This pattern involves the use of short rows in order to produce the shaping, and it suggested the use of German Short Rows with the garter stitch.  These are the easiest short rows ever, and they blend right in.  Check out this link for a great demo.

The book I finished yesterday was The Lotus and the Storm, by Lan Cao.  It's literary fiction, which is far from my go-to genre, but it was for an online book club and of course I need to venture out of my comfort zone once in a while.  The book seems to be difficult to find, so I wanted to finish it a bit more quickly so that anyone waiting for it to be released from hold could move up in the queue!

Anyway - it was a lovely, albeit dramatic, read.  I'm not a history scholar, so I also learned a bit more about some of the details surrounding the Vietnam War.  It looks like I missed possibly crossing paths with the author in college by a couple of years, but that still allows for some shared experiences as well, which is always nice.  I recommend it, but was a bit of an emotional roller coaster ride (I suppose that's what makes her a great author!).

I'm well into the second book, A Conspiracy of Bones, by Kathy Reichs.  I'm a long-time fan of hers, but hadn't kept up with her in recent years.  This is her most recent book, just released last month.  I may have some back-tracking to do!

The third book is Pharma, by Gerald Posner, which I'll start very soon (also released just last month).  I've been a fan of his since his book, Case Closed, back in the 1990s.  He's an investigative journalist and does a great job with digging out important facts and details.  I hadn't followed his writing much, either, but who doesn't like a good Big Pharma story in this era of opioids and viruses!

Comments

neuroknitter said…
Joyful Isolation is beautiful so far. It will be perfect for an early summer day!

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows