Doing Pomodoros (Sort Of)

It's Thursday!!  I hope you're well; we're good here.

I had hoped to have some updated pics of Squircle to show you today, but disaster struck yesterday and I'm pretty much back to where I was two days ago.

I didn't take any pics of that, because I did something that is really unlike me - after ripping back to the place where the issue occurred, I immediately picked up and continued on. 

What happened?  Well - I knew something seemed off when I was picking up the stitches and ended up finishing the first row with a K3 and it was the same three stitches that I'd started the row with.  Sure enough - the heel increases wound up off-center and definitely needed to be re-done.

In the process of fixing all of this, I realized that I'd neglected to subtract the six stitches for the garter stitch strip from the "pick up half of the remaining stitches" instruction.  So the whole thing was shifted over, with three of them overlapping.  There was no fix - it had to be re-done.

Jumping right back in to fix this made me think about something I've been reminded of over the past few days (through the Mindshift course I mentioned earlier) - "doing a Pomodoro".

Basically, this amounts to setting a timer (preferably one of those cute kitchen timers that are egg- or tomato-shaped) for 25 minutes and drilling into a task that you may otherwise be dreading (or procrastinating).  And then repeat as necessary, with short breaks in-between and longer breaks every couple of hours. 

This is supposed to get you going and ideally into Flow, which happens when you get so into it that it's like two hours later and you have no idea where the time went.  (To learn more about Flow, search for Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi).

I haven't been setting any timers, but I do find that Viking Orchestral Metal (Nightwish) and German Metal (Rammstein) really help power me through with some of my writing work.  It may have subtlety worked for knitting, too!

In wildlife news - there's a bunch of deer grazing around in the woods outside my window this morning.  They are so well camouflaged that I can only see them when they move or if their tails swish.  I saw about four, but I'm sure there are more out there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poisons

Wedding Pillows